In our post, “Spiritual Service”, I announced and outlined an ongoing prayer initiative. Very briefly I explained how important prayer and you, the followers of this blog, are in the Kingdom of God. Principally we are praying for you, but scripture teaches we all are part of a Royal Priesthood.(1 Pet. 2:5, 9) My vision of this reality is every Believer praying for his own Kingdom sphere of family, associates, and others. The Body of Yeshua is designed to have concern for every part thereof, as each is necessary. (1 Cor. 12:14-25; Rom. 12:4-5) We are to pray across the boundaries of common interest, regular contact, church membership and familial relationships; every member interceding and carrying in prayer as the Lord leads. Even if only a small percent carry this out faithfully the impact will be immeasurable, and it is happening now, this is not my idea, but His. (1 Kings 19:18)
Someone asked, “How can we know how to pray for people that we don’t know well and without any requests from them as to their needs, struggles or aims?”
1) First and foremost, we ask for and rely on the Spirit’s enabling. (Rom. 8: 26-27) This is a key function of the prophetic nature of the Spirit and Word. (1 Cor. 2:10-16; Heb. 4:12)
2) We pray scripture based prayers. For example, Ps. 23, The Lord is my Shepherd… He leads me… He restores my soul…I will not fear for He is with me…He prepares a table before me… These apply to every Believer.
3) We pray priestly prayers, I) Toward Heaven, “Your Kingdom come” (Matt. 6:10) II) Toward the Congregation of Believers, “That they may be one.” (John 17:21) III) Toward unbelievers, “That they may be saved” (Rom. 10:1) IV) Toward Governments, “For all who are in authority” (1 Tim. 2:2) V) Toward victory over Satan, “To destroy the devils work” (1 John 3:8) see Asher Intrater, Revive Israel, https://www.reviveisrael.org/post/five-priestly-prayers
4) We pray blessings from scripture,
The beatitudes (Matt. 5:3-12) The Psalms are filled with blessings, (Ps. 1:1; 128:1; 37:26; 84:12; 89:15; 41:1; 20:1-9….)
5) We pray promises of God which flow from His character, “The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed.(Ps. 103:6)
These are just categories, if you have lived long enough for the Spirit to write His Word on your heart, you have a fountain of guidance from which the Spirit will recall supernatural prayer insight. Have a bible open and let the Spirit guide your prayers, but don’t rely on your intellect. Get quiet, clear your mind, pause, exalt and worship Him in Spirit and actively listen to His voice. Whatever you know of God will be confirmed in your hearing/ (understanding) – believe and expect. This is not rocket science, but like children sitting on the carpet together obediently following their teachers instruction.