I had forgotten the lessons of Israel’s battles which are for our instruction and encouragement. (Romans 15:4) I believe this applies to small issues and great.
- When the enemy shows up, seek the Lord as to what He would have us do. The Lord will design and configure what forces we are to involve in battle. (2 Chron. 25:7-11; Judges 7:4-8)
- Take an inventory and review that there is no evil resident among our forces. When we harbor sin, unforgiveness, and secret evil, we are separated from the Lord our strength. (Judges 2:1-5; Joshua 7:10-12)
- Remember the victory belongs to the Lord, our shelter, reliance upon our own strength is a huge mistake. (2 Samuel 8:6,14; Ps. 60:12; 2 Chron. 20:15)
- Don’t assume anything as to the Lord, He may set ambushes among the enemy or simply have His people march forward in worship and praise. His ways are not ours. (2 Chron. 20:22-25; 2 King 6:16-23)
- Don’t listen to the enemy’s threats or negotiations, it will only yield fear and misgivings. (1 Samuel 17:11; 2 Kings 19:1-8; 1 Kings 11:4)
- Press hard for obedience with the instructions as revealed by the Spirit. There will always be temptation to do things our way or leave off part of His instruction. Hold on to God’s way. (Gal. 3:3; 2 Kings 5:8-14; Ps. 119:1-6; Isa. 53:6)
- Maintain your peace; fretting, fear, seeking help elsewhere from advisers, counselors or experts maybe indicative of weak faith or lack of trust in God. There is no other source in which to look for victory. (1 Samuel 28:5-15; 2 Kings 21:1-6; Heb. 7:25)
- The forces arrayed against us are greater than ours and we alone are no match against them. God never suggested we are to be our own defense, arrogance leads to a rout. (2 Chron. 26:16; 2 Samuel 22:7-15)
- In Battle when all else has been done and the enemy is pressing in, that is the time for loud and merry praise. (2 Chron. 20:21; 1 Chronicles 16:25-27)
- Take courage. Though we are weak, He is strong. Be convinced that He will keep His promises. Do not fear. (Ps. 27:4; Joshua 1:7-9; Judges 6:12)
These may not be every concern and we have formidable tools of warfare, but they are never independent of Him. When and if, we are called to participate in the battle, our weapons and armor are designed by Him and work by His authority and word. (Eph. 6:13-17) Glory to God in the Highest.